Boost your content quality & connect with more people using data-driven insights
Applying competitive intelligence to boost your online content engagement
If you’ve ever thought the hours you spend creating online content are a waste of time because they aren’t driving any traffic; you’ll want to read this.
You shouldn’t spend any more time writing posts until you figure out the type of content that performs best in your industry. Tracking the success of your competitor’s blog posts can help you spot any trends or similarities in content type that generates traffic in your market.
Track your Competition’s Blog & Social Profiles
Select a broad range of competitors and industry leaders you’d like to track. This can include anyone from your direct competition to market leaders outside your industry. Tracking anyone with an inspirational marketing strategy that you’d like to emulate is useful for gathering new ideas.
To track your competitors blogs and social profiles automatically, add your competitors and any relevant industry players to Kompyte. The platform finds and analyzes your competition’s online content generation.
Use Engagement & Impact to Identify Top Performing Articles
Kompyte automatically scans your competitor’s blog and lets you know how the community reacted by assigning each post an Impact Score.
Kompyte’s Impact Score measures the impact of each blog or social media post by considering the amount of engagement their average post attracts. For example, if your competition typically receives 500 interactions on Facebook and their latest post received 2000 interactions – Kompyte would tell you know that this latest post has 4x the impact as their typical post.
Therefore, you can assume that the topic of this post is extremely relevant to your audience. Kompyte’s impact score is more useful than typical engagement ratings as larger companies typically receive higher engagement simply because they have more followers than smaller companies.
Gather Insight on Topics & Content Type
Take note of the type of post that is performing well for the other players in your industry.
Various formats to watch for include:
- Infographics – Data or stats can be communicated in an appealing way; highly appealing to demographics such as the visual arts industry
- How-to guides to useful industry topics – Many people are searching for the solution to their questions, therefore, posts like this hold a lot of long tail keyword potential.
- Lists – Quantifying the number things the reader will learn is always attention grabbing.
- eBooks – If you’ll share your exclusive industry knowledge in a longer format, many readers are willing to exchange their email address. Make sure the content is new and genuinely useful!
- Customer Success Stories – Write in an inspiring advice and guidance style method not a sales style to highlight your company in a positive light. Work with your client to include original data and show the results they’ve been able to achieve.
- What other formats have you discovered by tracking your competition? They may have come up with a great new idea that you could also test.
Write New Content Based on Competitor Data
Once you have collected some ideas from your competitors’ top performing content, it’s time to write new content based on the ideas you collected. It’s important not to just rewrite the competition’s content but create brand new assets that provide value and add to the conversation.
Lastly, make sure to test all aspects of your new strategy. Test details such as post lengths or the inclusion of visuals & graphics. Perhaps your followers are indicating your posts are too long and tedious; try a shorter post with most bullet points and images. Keep testing until you find the solution that performs best with your unique audience.
ROI: Calculating the Value of Competitive Intelligence
After you’ve started writing content based on your new insights, check the difference in your engagement rate. Estimate the impact in increased page traffic at the end of the funnel.
Product Marketing Director
Want more Creative Competitive Intelligence Ideas?
Subscribe & receive new tips straight to your inbox!
Trusted by Fortune 500 and leading companies in more than 20 industries.
Start Tracking Your Competitors Now
Try Kompyte for free and see exactly what the “other guys” are doing.