A guide to improving your search ad performance using competitive intelligence
To win at Google Ads you must attract clicks. It’s seems simple; just write something clever within Google’s word constraint and you’re done! In reality, writing ad copy is incredibly difficult. You must appeal to prospective buyers across personas, seniority and industries and you need to do it within some fairly challenging character limitations. Added to that, constantly coming up with new ad copy to test is just plain frustrating. So what is a marketer to do when they’re run out of messaging ideas to test?
With Kompyte you can identify your competitors’ highest quality ads with the most engagement. Uncover every keyword to ad, and ad to landing page relationship. See what is working for them and use that intel to adapt and optimize your ad copy testing schedule.
Track the Ads Running for each Keyword
Add the keywords you’re focusing on into the platform to quickly discover all the Google ads your competitors are running or A/B testing. Kompyte will display your competitors’ ads and show you their Ad Score, which indicates the competition’s most successful ads. The Ad Score is based on how long the ad has been running, as well as, how many other ads it has beat in A/B tests. The higher the Ad Score, the better the ad performs for your competition.
Collect Copywriting Ideas
Look through your competitors’ ads for new ideas; everything from messaging to the call to action can be enhanced. We know you wouldn’t continue running an ad if it isn’t working, check out their longest run ads to get an idea of which ads are performing best for them.
Tips to improve your ad copy include:
- Use Numbers: Numbers let people know exactly what they are getting and help them make decision; include price to reduce clicks from people that are not a good fit for your business.
- Include Special Characters: Symbols are eye catching and work to attract attention away from the endless stream of text.
- Include a Call to Action: Encourage action by telling people what you want them to do; whether it’s place an order or sign up for a free demo.
- Add a Benefit: Let people know what you offer, and why it makes you unique.
- Match Ads to Landing Pages: Keyword to ad copy to landing page relevancy is imperative. If your ad tells people to “click here for a free demo” take them directly to the form.
Testing: the most important factor when testing ad copy
Remember, just because something works well for your competition, it may not work well for you. A/B test all the ideas you get from Kompyte; test everything from the call to action to the specific messaging. Extensive testing is the only way to figure out what will be successful for your business.
Calculating your ROI
After 20 ad copy experiments, compare your new CTR with your previous CTR. Calculate the impact of the new AdWords traffic on your bottom line.
Need more competitive intelligence ideas?
Subscribe & receive new posts straight to your inbox!